Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety (WHS) will help you to take that next step in your career.
Whether it be to upskill your existing role or by providing you with a valuable qualification that could be utilised in a range of new employment opportunities.
Certificate IV in WHS is designed for individuals who want to become a qualified WHS assessor, workplace safety officer, WHS representative or those who undertake a role with significant WHS responsibilities such as a business owner, manager, supervisor, team leader.
Who Should Attend?
Certificate IV in WHS is suitable for individuals in a WHS role who may or may not work under supervision. They may provide leadership and guidance to others and have some limited responsibility for the output of others.
The qualification reflects the role of workers who apply a broad knowledge base and well-developed skills in a wide variety of contexts and may include coordinators, advisers, supervisors, managers and facilitators as well as SafeWork NSW inspectors.
Preferred pathways for individuals entering this qualification include Cert III in Work Health and Safety or other relevant Cert III qualifications OR vocational experience in WHS roles without a formal qualification.
Pathways from the qualification include Diploma of Work Health and Safety.
Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety (WHS) qualification requires the completion of 10 units of competency - 5 core and 5 elective units.
- BSBWHS402 Assist with compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS403 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS404 Contribute to WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- BSBWHS405 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- BSBWHS406 Assist with responding to incidents
- BSBWHS401 Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs to meet legislative requirements
- BSBWHS407 Assist with claims management, rehabilitation and return-to-work programs
- BSBWHS410 Contribute to work-related health and safety measures and initiatives
- BSBRES411 Analyse and present research information
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
Strategic Corporate Training has packaged the elective units for the course so students have the essential knowledge and skills relevant to working in industry based workplace safety.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer are available to all students. Please contact our Admin Team for more information on the RPL pathway and Credit Transfer processes.
Assessment is based on competency, which is the ability to demonstrate specific skills. A range of assessment methods will be utilised to assess competence in each unit within the course including group activities, projects, written questions, presentation, observation etc.
Strategic Corporate Training offers both intensive and extended delivery courses in Certificate IV in Work Heath and Safety as well as an online course to ensure the diverse needs of students and clients are met.
Face to Face Classroom Training
Face to face training is conducted at our facility in Thornton NSW which is easily accessible for individuals from the Hunter Valley, Maitland, Newcastle Region, Lake Macquarie, Central Coast, Port Stephens and Mid-North Coast areas.
Our Certificate IV in Work Heath and Safety face to face course is delivered as a blended delivery program which includes classroom training, where most assessment tasks are completed, followed by self directed learning by the student.
Training is delivered over 5 days and is facilitated by our industry expert trainers who provide high impact learning for all students.
The delivery phase involves interactive classroom training encompassing all elements of the competencies within the qualification. This phase is followed by independent studies where students consolidate their understanding and complete the remaining assessment tasks. Students have 6 calendar months to course complete.
Due to the differing requirements of students, Strategic Corporate Training provides the option to enrol in either our:
- Intensive Course - 5 delivery days conducted in 1 week OR
- Extended Delivery Course - 5 delivery days conducted over 3 months
Courses are regularly conducted at our Thornton facility and can also be delivered onsite for organisations throughout Australia for group bookings (minimum numbers apply).
Students need to bring a laptop computer to classroom training that has Microsoft Office 97 or later (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader. A computer with these specifications and internet access is required during self-directed learning at home/work.
Our Certificate IV in Work Heath and Safety online course allows you to study at your own pace and complete the qualification as fast as you like. This delivery method is suited for highly motivated self-starters and involves independent studies however, ongoing support is provided by a dedicated trainer. Students have 6 calendar months to course complete.
To undertake the online course, students require internet access at home/work and a computer with Microsoft Office 97 or later (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader.
On completion of our Certificate IV in Work Heath and Safety (WHS) course, students will be able to:
- assist with providing advice about the legislative duties, rights and obligations of individuals and parties prescribed in WHS laws
- contribute to the implementation of WHS consultation and participation
- contribute to identifying WHS hazards; assessing WHS risks; and developing, implementing and evaluating risk controls appropriate to their own job role and work
- contribute to an organisation's WHS management system
- assist with the range of actions and activities undertaken in response to incidents
- assist with claims management, rehabilitation and return-to-work programs
- contribute to the selection, development, implementation and evaluation of a range of work-related health and safety measures and initiatives
- apply broad knowledge of the work environment to analysis and research tasks
- make presentations for a range of purposes, such as marketing, training, promotions, etc
- implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs in a work area in a supervisory position.
Strategic Corporate Training is an approved provider under the Smart and Skilled program for subsidised training for Certificate IV in Work Heath and Safety.
This training is subsidised by the NSW Government.
Under the Smart and Skilled funding, we can offer NSW residents (including employer sponsored students working in NSW) access to subsidised training which significantly reduces the cost of achieving a qualification.
A student's eligibility is not affected if they have previously completed a vocational education and training qualification.