Smart and Skilled
Smart and Skilled is a reform of the NSW VET system which provides government subsidised training in qualifications that are on the NSW Skills List. It's helping people in NSW get the skills they need to find a job and advance their careers.
Training courses under Smart and Skilled are subsidised by the NSW Government. For more information visit their website: www.smartandskilled.nsw.gov.au
If you are considering taking advantage of the NSW Government’s fee arrangements for government subsidised vocational education and training (VET), Strategic Corporate Training is your best choice as a training provider because we provide quality courses for students which are expertly delivered by trainers with industry knowledge and experience.
APPROVED QUALIFICATIONS - TARGETED PRIORITIES
Strategic Corporate Training is currently approved to the deliver the following qualifications under the Smart and Skilled Targeted Priorities Full Entitlement Program for students residing in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie and the Hunter Valley regions:
Mode of Delivery
Cert IV Work Health & Safety BSB41415
Classroom or Online
Cert IV Leadership & Management BSB42015
Classroom or Online
Cert IV Project Management Practice BSB41515
Classroom or Online
Cert IV Underground Coal Operations RII40415
Strategic Corporate Training is an approved provider of Smart and Skilled funded traineeships for the following qualifications for trainees based within NSW:
- RII20915 Cert II in Drilling Operations
- RII31815 Cert III in Drilling Operations
- RII30415 Cert III in Resource Processing
- RII30111 Cert III in Surface Extraction Operations
- RII20315 Cert II in Underground Coal Mining
- RII30215 Cert III in Underground Coal Operations
- RII30315 Cert III in Underground Metalliferous Mining
- RII40415 Cert IV in Underground Coal Operations
- RII42015 Cert IV in Leadership and Management
- RII41515 Cert IV in Project Management Practice
- 15 years old or over?
- no longer at school?
- living or working in NSW?
- an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen?
If you answered ‘Yes' to all four questions, then you're eligible to enrol in a government subsidised course under the Smart and Skilled scheme.
Types of courses you are eligible for:
Your eligibility for a government subsidised Smart and Skilled course and the student fee amount to be paid depends on your previous qualifications:
- If you haven't completed a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification, you're entitled to enrol in a subsidised course up to Certificate III.
- Students with a Certificate IV or higher qualification will be able to access subsidised Smart and Skilled training up to Certificate III level. This means that even if you have a higher level qualification you may still be eligible to re-train to enter (or re-enter) the workforce.
- You can also enrol in subsidised training at Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma level, depending on the availability of funding for these courses. Having completed a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification does not affect eligibility.
Other eligibility conditions:
Your eligibility is not affected if you have completed a vocational education and training (VET) course, including a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship, as part of your high school education.
There are also some exceptions to the eligibility conditions described above, such as for Aboriginal people who live in specific, defined areas outside the NSW border.
Eligibility for apprentices and trainees:
NSW apprentices and some new-entrant trainees may be eligible for a government subsidy for the training that supports their apprenticeship or traineeship. If you have already completed a Certificate IV or higher-level qualification, this does not affect your eligibility.
Check to see if you're eligible:
You can determine your eligibility for Smart and Skilled training by answering a few short questions in the Eligibility Checker on the Smart and Skilled website. You can then go to the Course Finder to get an estimate of the fee for your preferred course.
The price of Smart and Skilled qualifications is a set price for the full qualification. Strategic Corporate Training must charge the student the relevant fee set by the NSW Government.
If you're eligible for subsidised training under Smart and Skilled, you pay only a portion of the training cost. The rest is subsidised by the NSW Government.
How your fees are determined:
Smart and Skilled introduces a simpler, fairer system for calculating fees and subsidies. You only pay one fee for the whole qualification, rather than year-by-year. This means you'll know, upfront, the total cost of your training.
If you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, a student with a disability or a Commonwealth welfare recipient, you may be eligible for fee exemptions or concessions when enrolling in a Smart and Skilled course.
Additional financial support may be available for apprentices and trainees who do Smart and Skilled training. Refer to the Smart and Skilled website on trade support loans, allowances and scholarships that may be available for apprentices and trainees.
Fee-Free Scholarships are available for eligible learners to study fee free under Smart and Skilled. Individuals or their dependants who are living in (or on the waiting list for) social housing or who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence are eligible for a government subsidy which covers the entire Smart and Skilled course fee.
More information can be found at Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships.
Before you enrol in any course we encourage you to speak with our Admin Team to fully discuss your training requirements and to ensure you have all information available to make an informed decision. We will guide you through the enrolment process, including application for recognition assessment where required. Your goals are our priority.
Strategic Corporate Training will follow the below procedures when enrolling students in Smart and Skilled subsidised courses:
- Pre-Enrolment Information: We will provide you with all relevant course and student information including refunds, fees, recognition, consumer protection, course withdrawal, USI process (see below) to ensure you can make an informed decision.
- Eligibility Check: We will check your eligibility for subsidised training and confirm the fee structure prior to proceeding with an enrolment in the course.
- Declarations: You will be provided with our Enrolment Application Kit and are required to sign the following documents:
- Consent to Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Enrolment Application form (enrolment is subject to Smart and Skilled funding being approved by the Department)
We will review your application to ensure you meet the Smart and Skilled requirements.
- Notification to Department: We will generate the Notification of Enrolment Report and finalise your enrolment in the course including the student contribution fee to be paid. Once we have received payment of the student contribution, an enrolment confirmation will be provided to you containing all information relevant to participating in the course.
All students undertaking nationally recognised training require a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
A USI is a reference number made up of numbers and letters that gives students access to their USI account. An individual's USI account is linked to the VET Data Collection allowing an individual to see all of their training results from all providers including all completed training units and qualifications.
To create your USI go to the USI website at www.usi.gov.au and follow the steps below:
- View the Student Video
- Click on the Create a USI Panel and follow the directions
- Set access controls on the USI Portal to allow Strategic Corporate Training and the Department access to information
- Record your USI number on the Enrolment Application form
- Store your USI number in a secure place
Under the Student Identifiers Act, a training organisation cannot issue a Statement of Attainment or a Qualification unless the student has been assigned a USI for course completions.
Strategic Corporate Training is approved to offer traineeships under Smart and Skilled. Traineeships combine work-based training and formal training through Strategic Corporate Training - see above qualification list for NSW government funded traineeships. Most new entrant trainees are eligible for a government subsidy under Smart and Skilled for the qualification that supports their traineeship.
Traineeships provide an opportunity to:
- Train future workers and supervisors
- Develop productive workers in a short space of time
- Recognise and build on the skills of existing workers
- Train new staff to do things the way your business does
- Develop loyal and motivated workers
- Improve your training culture
If you have any questions about applying for Smart and Skilled training or wish to enrol, please contact our Admin Team on 1300 153 249. We are here to make the process as simple as possible for you!